By Jonathan Howe
In a special called meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee on April 2 in Dallas, Texas, Arkansas pastor and former president of the SBC Ronnie Floyd was elected president of the Executive Committee.
The near-unanimous vote to hire Floyd comes more than a year after previous president Frank Page’s resignation last March.
On March 31, Floyd announced to Cross Church in Springdale, Arkansas, that—pending the vote—he would be resigning as pastor on April 7.
“Ronnie Floyd is a trusted voice of experienced leadership,” said Executive Committee chairman Mike Stone, an ex officio member of the presidential search committee.
“A lifetime of service in the local church and in virtually every layer of SBC life has uniquely prepared him for this critical hour,” said Stone. “Dr. Floyd will be ready on day one to lead all Southern Baptists as president of the Executive Committee.”
Floyd told the Executive Committee that he would be resigning from Cross Church and “immediately taking the role of president-elect.”
— Baptist Press (@baptistpress) April 2, 2019
Adron Robinson, vice chairman of the search committee and senior pastor of Hillcrest Baptist Church in Country Club Hills, Illinois, said Floyd is a “proven leader with a vision to lead the Executive Committee in these turbulent times. He has the skill-set to bring together the diverse leadership of our Convention to build a stronger SBC.”
Current SBC President and pastor of The Summit Church in Durham, North Carolina, J.D. Greear voiced his approval. “Ronnie Floyd’s passion for prayer and spiritual awakening, combined with his strong support for our cooperative mission, his tireless energy, and his demonstrated commitment to raising up the next generation make him a unique gift to the SBC at this hour of transition,” he said.
Félix Cabrera, SBC second vice president and executive director of the Convention of Southern Baptist Churches in Puerto Rico, also endorsed the new SBC EC president and said he served in different roles during Floyd’s time as SBC president.
“I must say that he demonstrated a new way to lead by embracing racial unity and diverse leadership and by exhibiting trust and boldness as a role model in the pursuit of inclusiveness,” he said.
Acting President and CEO of Lifeway Brad Waggoner said Floyd had ”a proven track record of effective leadership in the local church” and “is uniquely gifted to unify and lead our Convention of churches in this crucial time.”
Resources from Ronnie Floyd
- Storming Hell’s Gates
- The Meaning of a Man
- God’s Gateway to Supernatural Power: A Resource, Testimony, and Practical Guide on Prayer and Fasting
- The Power of Prayer and Fasting
- Life On Fire, Word Publishing
- Family Life Illustrated Series
- Finding The Favor of God
- 10 Things Every Minister Needs to Know
- Our Last Great Hope: Awakening the Great Commission
- Forward: 7 Distinguishing Marks for Future Leaders
- Living Fit: Navigating Your Way to A Healthy You
- How to Pray, Developing an Intimate Relationship with God
Areas of ministry:
- President, National Day of Prayer Task Force, 2017–Present
- Board of Directors, Family Research Council, Washington, DC, 2017–Present
- President, Southern Baptist Convention, 2014–2016
- General Editor, Lifeway Christian Resources, Bible Studies for Life, 2013–2017
- Chief Mobilization Strategist, North American Mission Board, 2012–2015
- Chairman, SBC Great Commission Task Force, 2009–2010
- Board of Trustees, Liberty University, 2002–2009
- Board of Trustees, GuideStone Financial Resources, 2001–2009
- Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1988–1998
- Chairman, Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1995–1997
- President, Pastors’ Conference, Southern Baptist Convention, 1997
- Program and Structure Study Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1993–1995
- Search Committee for the President and CEO of the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1991–1992
- President, Pastors’ Conference, Arkansas Baptist State Convention, 1989
- Executive Board, Arkansas Baptist State Convention
- SBC Liaison Committee of the Executive Committee with the Baptist General Convention of Virginia
- First Baptist Church—Cherokee, Texas (1976–1978)
- First Baptist Church—Milford, Texas (1978–1981)
- First Baptist Church—Palacios, Texas (1981–1984)
- First Baptist Church—Nederland, Texas (1984–1986)
- Cross Church—Northwest Arkansas (1986–2019)
JONATHAN HOWE (@jonathan_howe) serves as director of strategic initiatives at Lifeway Christian Resources.